Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Rain has begun!

Hello Everyone,

I'm writing this in the middle of a Rain storm. The sound of the torrential downpour on the metal roof of the studio is so loud that no one can talk, so I'm taking a time-out to write instead. This is awesome! The Rainy Season Has ARRIVED!

so, Last time I updated here I was not in a great situation. Since then, things are much improved.  Szuyin  is feeling much much better, and the dive company has begun to be less obnoxious.  Unfortunately, but entirely understandably, Szuyin decided to go home early, so she returned to Taiwan on Saturday, where she was immediately enveloped in loving family.  I'm hoping she comes back to full health soon, and finally finds a doctor that can adequately explain what the heck happened.

She also got out of here just in time to miss The Rain. I am from a desert, where we get about 40 cm of water per year,  and I think that half that has already fallen on us here, so from now on, I can only refer to it as The Rain.

Downside (kinda) of the rain: It is so loud we cannot speak to each other, even sitting right next to each other. I'm working in basically a huge, open-sided bamboo barn with a corrugated metal roof. It's like working in a really breezy drum. Awesome, ... but loud.

Upside: It's kinda-sorta-a-little-bit-wintery-ish! In the "there are clouds and I want a mug of hot tea" kind of way. Still nothing like proper snow, but I'll take it.   And so will Sophia and Pat, so we have decided to bring the Holiday Spirit to out "office" in the form of christmas songs, and even a tiny christmas tree! Thanks Pat!

And as such, we need a Christmas chard to go with it! So in honor of the holidays and of Szuyin, I present: the PT Bamboo Christmas Card picture!


HI!

Yep! Sooo wintery, right?

Anyways, in other news:

I did get a chance to finish out my diving certification, so now I am a certified diver, and will be able to tag along with Tito in January, hopefully. 

Oh, right: Tito is coming to visit in January!  Thank you Middlebury J-term!

The surfer lodge that we designed might actually get built! Yessss. 

Oh and, since, the topic of rain is still appropriate:

Last weekend, on Saturday night, the sky opened up while I was giving Divya (Another intern! So many interns!)  a ride home, and so I got to spend the night in a Green Village Villa!  We had to basically bike up hill through a stream (which used to be a road)  to get to the village, and the running boards of my bike were actually under water. Staying in the Villa during The Rain at night is like being on a ship. Re rushed in and had to lower the bamboo rain-curtains, and tie them off. And even then, in the living room it still felt entirely exposed. Gusts of wind still carried spray into the room. the Curtains billowed and heaved in the wind like sails.  And as we huddled there, soaked, and cradling a steaming mug of tea,  I felt like I had been transported in the movie The Swiss Family Robinson. It was awesome (in the actual, original sense of the word). 

Once the storm had died down, and we headed for bed, I got to curl up in the guest room, nested under wonderfully fluffy blankets. Even though the room only has walls on two sides, and is entirely exposed to the river valley, it was surprisingly cozy.  I fell asleep looking out over the river, through the thick trees to where the silhouette of the new Springland Villa emerges from the treetops like another Jungle Pirate Ship. 

Whatever it's faults, Green Village really is breathtakingly beautiful, and incredibly relaxing. 

UPDATE: Pictures! The morning after getting marooned on Villa Island:




No comments: