Thursday, July 5, 2012

Breakfast post


So, I'm sitting here watching the rain, and figuring out the internet here over a lovely breakfast of nasi Goreng (fried rice) with fried egg, fruit, yogurt, pineapple juice and ginger tea. Delicious, And also, the only real meal I've eaten since the Singapore Airport, since I accidentally slept through dinner yesterday. Mom, your midnight-snack care package saved me! Thank you thank you thank you!

I've been awake since about 2 am. So much for outwitting jetlag. pipe dreams. 

Yesterday I arrived at the airport, made my way past all the “visa on arrival” tourists to the “foreigners with extended stay pass” desk, and promptly found out that I've got the wrong visa. Thanks unnamed man at the embassy! Woo! Looks like i might need to actually leave the country every two months instead of renewing the visa. But I also got the name and number of the immigration clerk who  promised “a different way” to stay in thte country. hmmmm. ok. not sketchy at all. 

Then I found Nyoman waiting for me in a throng of people holding up signs with western names. The hour-and-a-half van ride to Ubud was spent making small talk, and being laughed at for my wide-eyed, swivel-headed staring at everything. Nyoman narrated a little, telling me which towns we were going through, and pointing out markets, temples, homes, home temples and palaces. Then I got here, signed some forms, and as the smiling hostess walked away, I got a minute to myself in this new place. The rooms are lovely, and come with a bowl of fresh fruit, a porch, and a pool literally 10 feet away. I tossed my luggage on the bed, looked around, smelled a flower or two, and promptly fried my camera battery then fell asleep. Yay! So yeah, care package request number one? I guess?

It is LOUD here at night. Not the chaotic human cacophony of the main road just a few hundred feet away, but the constant rushing of the stream just beyond the pool, the constant patter of what here probably counts as dew, but back home would be a downpour, birds, insects, some hooting monkeys of some sort, some local form of cricket, and the gentle hum of a generator. 

Now I'm just relaxing, and waiting for Ben to come by and show me over to the place I will be renting for the next month+. apparently it is very close. And it will be my first time on a motor bike, so we'll see how terrifying the trafic looks form that vantage point. Yesterday it definitely felt liek the majority of the vehicles on the road where bikes, so I think this will be fine. 

Love you all! Will let you know how the housing is looking soon! In the mean time, Kebun Indah is so freaking beautiful! Wow. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ari! The place you are staying sounds amazing! Wow, so beautiful - flowers, birds, a pool, fresh fruit! Paradise! Sounds like you are having a great time and really soaking up the culture. Just the fact that you passed temples and palaces on your way from the airport is amazing. I am so happy for you! Also, I love the pics on fb :) It is nice to see the area from my apartment in D.C. Miss you tons!